October 30, 2009

M. PYRES


CAST OFF / COLD MONTHS


This is one of the best ambient records I've heard in a while because it's so organic, unlike most of the other ambient stuff I've been into -- that of the synth-based and spaced-out set. This album is more like the end of The Shining as opposed to the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey, if that makes sense. I'd recommend this to fans of Super Minerals and other things I can't think of right now -- for some reason, I want to say the quieter parts of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, or if The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place was buried in a bomb shelter and recorded through a drain pipe. Most of it is guitar loop streams and feedback rivers flowing down delay mountains, if I'm not mistaken (I probably am, since I've neglected all valleys and clearings); hence, the post-rock tag.

I'll be posting three other records from this band in a few days, but I figured I should put them in a different post since they're all somewhat different from this one. You'll see. In the meantime, familiarize yourself with a record I'm surprised isn't more widely hyped.

Myspace

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. I'm really enjoying this a lot.