December 07, 2009

Cobalt - Gin (2009)


Gin

Black Metal.

What did you think of?
Norway? Early 90's? Church burnings? Satan? Murder?
Those are all perfectly justifiable. They are the words that come to mind whenever I hear the name of one of metal's most notorious subgenres. I mean, when it comes to Black Metal it gets no better than those staple bands that came out of Norway: Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Gorgoroth, Enslaved, etc. However, this band is up there with the quality of those power houses, and they released this album in some small Colorado town. That's right, Colorado. This album is one of my favorites of the year, it got suggested to me by a close friend and I have been listening to it since. It shows a great amount of musicianship and stays true to the Black Metal sound whilst incorporating some unexpected turns here and there. The bleak lyrics dealing with such themes as war, death, and sorrow are screeched out by the vocalist at times and sang in a haunting harmony at others. Black Metal lives on.


EDIT: I don't know what is happening with this link, but it keeps dying. I can only resuscitate it so many times. After so long, I am only playing god. God apparently thinks nobody should download Cobalt. As he should, they are heathenistic Black Metal sons of bitches. It's alive for now, but no guarantees.

Myspace

3 comments:

Konrad said...

haha nice, cobalt's pretty sick, my friend showed me them not too long ago

Unknown said...

fffff i only listened to their myspace today and went to get it but the link is dead. bummer

Anonymous said...

Gah, this is sooooo weird. This is the first and only file that has ever gone dead from mediafire for me. I have already re-upped it twice with different file names.

Third time's a charm, I guess? Fuck.