September 17, 2009

9/17 Megapost

Sure, I'm late with some of these, but aren't they all good records? And doesn't that goodness last beyond the "discovery" stage? I'd like to think so.

I tried to make this a noise/electronic post, but Bibio offered me an opportunity to transition into a few links I've been meaning to post for a while. Enjoy.

Eric Copeland - Alien In A Garbage Dump - Full length! Not the vinyl-only EP that was released last year. This album is that EP and the recently released companion EP, Al Anon (also vinyl-only). Pretty amazing. Buy the CD from Paw Tracks, or the Al Anon twelve-inch from Catsup Plate (only 500 copies pressed!).

High Wolf - Animal Totem - Killer cassette released last year (?) on Not Not Fun Records. Tropical loop noise.

Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue - Folk and IDM? In the best way possible, this dude on Warp Records marries the two. I don't know why I'm suddenly name-dropping all these record labels.

Ganglians - Monster Head Room - Part of that whole "lo-fi" thing, but ultimately, the songwriting here makes you forget it was likely recorded in someone's basement. Kinda like Beach Boys, Fleet Foxes, Woods. Buy the CD from Woodsist.

Hermit Thrushes - Slight Fountain - Maybe I'm off my rocker here, but this band reminds me of, like, if maybe Cough-era Black Eyes (I've spent about 10 minutes trying to find a better band for this analogy, but nothing else works) was really tired, so they turned off the distortion and invited Phil Elverum over to sing a little, and then all of them realized that Joan of Arc was pretty good. Buy the CD here.

No comments: